Sunday, January 9, 2011

New Year



"Pie" Acrylic on Canvas, 30x40

Detail, "Me." Acrylic on Birch.

New year, new work. I'm working on bigger canvases, and am focusing on simplifying some of my pieces, although in some ways that's almost impossible for me. I'm thinking more about memories when I paint, and how they are shaped, and what they would look like if we could see them. Working in layers provides me with the opportunity to communicate the experiences we have when simple thoughts or words enter our minds. The word "Me" immediately sets off a firestorm of images, feelings, colors, shapes and sounds. Who are you? Who am I ? What comes to mind, and how can I capture all of those memories and retrieved "files" that fly into thought when one word is uttered.


Me, Acrylic on Birch.










1 comment:

Peggy said...

Enjoyed reading your blog. I too find painting a meditation. I usually meditate before painting which helps me reach my authentic self with the paint. Best of luck in 2011. Peggy Klineman